Sep 18, 2016

The big chess training plan

I recently bought the book Chess Exam and Training Guide and I took the whole test in a day (it was a Sunday). The results were eye-opening!

My biggest weaknesses are tactics, sacrifices, calculation and openings.
My other weaknesses are attack, strategy, middlegame and endgame.
What I call weaknesses are the areas where my estimated rating was lower than my overall rating.

My strengths (where I scored higher than the overall rating) are defense, recognizing threats, standard endgame positions and counterattack.


Because of those results, I decided to change my training plan. I want to focus on my biggest weaknesses first. Here is the big plan :


  • Year 1 : Focus on tactics and build an opening repertoire.
  • Year 2 : Improve my calculation and work on sacrifices
  • Year 3 : Learn to attack and improve my positional understanding
  • Year 4 : Focus on the middlegame - especially planning
  • Year 5 : Improve my endgame
  • Retake the test and work on my biggest weaknesses
I decided to focus on one or two weaknesses a year because I want to deeply learn the topics and transform the weaknesses into strengths. However I won't be studying only these topics, I plan on having fun studying whatever I want some of the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment