Jul 28, 2016

Chess in 11 simple steps

In my opinion, every field has some core concepts you need to master to become good at it. When we first start to study a subject, it seems like we have a million things to learn, but I think the million things are just a combination of the core topics.



For chess, those topics are:
  1. Thinking system : I think it is important to automate a thinking system, because there are some tasks we need to perform every move. For example, asking ourselves "what is the threat?" after the opponent's move or "what are the forcing replies of my opponent?" before making our intended move. Also, having a calculation algorithm will help save time and energy.
  2. Openings : Every game starts with the opening. We need to build and memorize a repertoire and understand the positions that arise from it.
  3. Tactics : to avoid blunders and take advantage of our opponent's mistakes
  4. Strategy : to know what to do when there are no tactics
  5. Endgame : In a game between even players, the result is usually decided in the endgame.
  6. Attack : This is the easiest way to win against a lower-rated opponent.
  7. Defense : Because, we can't always attack.
  8. Planning : to know what to do after the opening and in the endgame.
  9. Psychology : I think it is important to know how to overcome a loss, to deal with an annoying opponent, etc
  10. Physical preparation : We need stamina in order not to make blunders in the last hour of the game.
  11. Practical skills : There are skills like sensible time distribution, the ability to play in a noisy environment or when it's hot, that we can train with practice games in order to be comfortable in any situation on the board.
 This is only my take on the subject, I may have forgotten some key skills. Please tell me what you think. I'm making a training plan based on these 11 steps.

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting topic, Chloe. I'm not sure what my ten would be, but there appears to be two broad categories: one concerning actual chess knowledge, and one about being you as a chess player. To be a good chess player, you need to not just understand all the chess concepts, but also know WHEN to use those concepts in WHICH positions. You also need to have the physical ability to play chess for the entire time control, something easily overlooked.

    I have to think about it more, but your list looks about fine. I would want to add time management in somewhere, as the ticking clock is definitely part of the game and it's something most people don't really think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I didn't think about time control, probably because I haven't suffered from time trouble. Maybe I need another category about other skills we can build during practice games. It would include time management, the ability to focus in a noisy environment, to play when it's hot, ...
      I think Josh Waitzkin, in his book "The art of learning", wrote about this subject. I will re-read the book and improve my post.

      Delete